Hey folks. It’s been a slow week here at Persona Don Dada as I was getting ready for my trip tomorrow to Chicago. I didn’t have much time to think about a mix, but since my country mix was cut short the other week because of the abrupt shutdown of muxtape.com, I upped a revamped country music mix to 8tracks.com. That’s about all the news I’ve got; don’t expect anything else from me until after the Labor Day weekend. I’ll probably see most of my readers this weekend anyways. Peace!
Read on for the tracklist …
Go here or use this embedded player:
01. Steve Earle — “Guitar Town” Been listening to this all week and still not tired of it.
02. George Jones — “You’re Still On My Mind” I got into this song first on the Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo cover version, but for me Jones’ is the definitive version. He’s always doing interesting things with his singing, and his delayed delivery on this song really stands out for me.
03. Faron Young — “Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young” An early, baddass honky tonk track from Faron Young.
04. Loretta Lynn — “Don’t Come Home A-Drinkin’ (With Lovin’ On Your Mind)” The title says it all.
05. Rose Maddox — “Gotta Travel On” I don’t know much about Rose Maddox, but this song is killer, and definitely pretty wild for a woman at the time.
06. Lefty Frizzell — “Saginaw, Michigan” An example of a country music regional anthem, this time about the titular working class town. One of Frizzell’s last big hits.
07. Charlie Rich — “Mountain Dew” Why Mountain Dew has never made a commercial using this song is beyond me.
08. Glen Campbell — “Galveston” I just realized how much I love Glen Campbell after downloading his greatest hits. I need to hear more.
09. The Carter Family — “Can the Circle Be Unbroken (By and By)” Old school country biscuits.