I tried so hard. So hard to cut the fat. But I could not! It’s chock full o’ jams! This week’s mix, the ninth installment in my Odd Pop series of tunes from pop’s hinterlands, brings the ruckus. There’s 38 tracks and dos horas de musica espectacular! Did I go trudging through the lesser solo albums of former Zombies members and ABBA Benny lead songs and ELO album tracks for this? BUT OF COURSE! We’ve also got reggae hard rock post-punk baroque pop prog newwave BruceSpringsteen so stick around!
Read on for track list and links …
Click here or use the embedded player:
01. Out Of Time / The Rolling Stones This is the alternate mix pulled from the Necrophilia bootleg of rarities that appeared in 1971. Dig the drum break.
02. Omnibus / Move Between The “Omnibus” and The “Magic Bus”, people certainly had at least a couple of options for psychedelic bus rides in the late ’60s.
03. Time Waits for No One / The Knack Not that Knack. Nope, this is a little-known group from 1960s (not 1970s) LA; the track is off the excellent new (and very possibly final) nuggets compilation Where The Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968.
04. I’d Love Just Once To See You / The Beach Boys What a cheeky lil’ tune!
05. Police Blood Sweater Vow / Fiery Furnaces The Furnaces crank out another Mad Lib-ian tune.
06. Mosquito Dub / GG’s All Stars Dubbin’ on all ya’ll.
07. Father John / Lemming From the excellent glam rock compilation Clap Your Hands and Stamp Your Feet.
08. Rebel / Toy Love Toy Love later became the Tall Dwarfs; great stuff on Flying Nun’s remastering of all the band’s recordings, Cuts.
09. Heaven / Pere Ubu Reggae pop from Dave Thomas and Co. Weirdoh isn’t it.
10. Silly Kids Games / The Damned Goddam kids. Get off my property!
11. Eyes Of The World / Fleetwood Mac You like what I did there? Yes you do.
12. Suzy-Hang-Around / ABBA A classic Benny track from the band’s second, Waterloo. Why no Benny singles?
13. Sorry Suzanne / The Hollies Anyone who gets on the Hollies as second-rate Brit-boy stuff can suck it.
14. Rich Old Lady / Terry Reid Actually, Terry, I think there’s a lot a 92-year-old can do with some cash. But it’s a sweet sentiment, sure.
15. Bon Voyage / Haruomi Hosono Before he created the Yellow Magic Orchestra, Hosono was doin’ dandified ’20s-style obscuro records.
16. Brainiac’s Daughter / The Dukes Of Stratosphear In an alternate universe, the Dukes were legit and XTC were phony. Chew on that!
17. The Man Who Invented Himself / Robyn Hitchcock Try as I may, I don’t much care for much Robyn Hitchcock solo stuff outside of a few tunes, this being one of them.
18. Any Old Time Will Do / Roy Wood He brought such intensity to cheezy pop whiz — listen to those drums! — no one cares to do that anymore it’s all hushed and neutered.
19. One Summer Dream / Electric Light Orchestra A lazy day tune.
Click here or use the embedded player:
20. The Golden Age of Rock & Roll / Mott the Hoople Rock ‘n’ roll utopianism it’s a joke right!
21. Play On / The Raspberries Oh how I love this tune — been listening for a month straight and still not tired.
22. The Fake Headlines / The New Pornographers A total dorm jam; brings me back!
23. The Ties That Bind / Bruce Springsteen Tie me off some, Brucey!
24. Something Happens When You Touch Me / Colin Blunstone Cheeky cheeky, Mr. B!
25. Rock Me Gently / Andy Kim This is the one you jam with your woman to.
26. I Wonder / Rodriguez Get your mind out of the gutter, Rodriguez!
27. Tack ska ni ha / Dungen Oh Dungen … I’m sorry I forgot to put Ta Det Lugnt on my top albums of the 2000s. What was I thinking? But I’m too lazy to go back and edit it so … oopsies!
28. N.I.T.A. / Young Marble Giants For one reason or the other I caught the beginning of Marie Antoinette the other night and laughed at the use of Gang of Four in the opening sequence and wondered if people were still hung up on that band and why anyone hasn’t grown up and realized how much better YMG was than 90% of that post-punk stuff brought back in the revision.
29. It was I / Lindsey Buckingham Lindsey B still droppin’ the heeeeets.
30. Johnny And Mary / Robert Palmer Yeah, srsly, Robert Palmer. Good stuff too!
31. You’ll Have to Go Sideways / The Soft Boys BUT I WANNA GO NORMALWAYS!
32. The Underdog / Spoon I don’t wanna hear the new Beach House record. I just want to listen to the seven albums in the last five years I liked. Fuck you.
33. She Sells / Roxy Music Go here to listen to Lester Bangs talk about how boring Brian Ferry is. Wish there were more clips of dude on YouTube.
34. Song Of The Viking / Todd Rundgren Todd woulda made one gay-ass viking. Just sayin’.
35. Brief Candles / The Zombies The Zumbies do it again.
36. Voices / The Bee Gees Barry Gibb heard strange voices that taught him how to sing like a stone-cold pimp.
37. Drive-In Saturday / David Bowie One time Morrissey got mad at some stupid NME reporter because the kid didn’t know “Drive-In Saturday”. Ha!
38. There Ain’t No Umbopo / Crazy Elephant No there ain’t, kids, so don’t go chasin’ it.