U ever get that feeling that you’re about to do something … awesome. That’s how I feel about this mix. Because it is great. This mix is going to touch you in all kinds of ways. Ways you wouldn’tve known you even wanted to be touched by me, especially when I haven’t washed my hands.
Read on for track list and links …
Click here or use the embedded player:
01. Darklands / The Jesus and Mary Chain Been doing it for me lately … Darklands is right up there with the debut too.
02. My Kind Of Soldier / Guided By Voices GBV went out swingin’ I’ll say that.
03. So Sad About Us / The Who Surprised this doesn’t get so much play with Who fans; major deep cut!
04. The Card Cheat / The Clash I’ve been on a MAJOR Clash kick lately. Like listen to all 6 (counting both US and UK versions of the debut) all day every day for weeks kind of mood. Strange that I chose this song to put on here, but it works best and I needed to drop some Clash on ya’lls.
05. French Navy / Camera Obscura Tracyanne Campbell my new indie rock lady crush guess I’ll have to replace Ellen Friedburger’s face print-out on the old blow-up doll. But don’t worry Drew the Furnaces are still making an appearance today!
06. Light of Love / Music Go Music These aren’t actually time-travelling Swedes but some LA folks; I think one of the dudes was in some hardcore bands and the other was in the Beechwood Sparks. Not sure where the chick is from. Oh but yeah good stuff.
07. Bang-A-Boomerang / ABBA Here’s the royal family of the stuff above.
08. January / Pilot Pilot also sing “OH OH OH IT’S MAGIC U KNOW NEVER BELIEVE IT’S NOT SO” so they are automatically like great dudes 4 life.
09. Make Believe / Joan Jett & The Blackhearts Still haven’t seen The Runaways maybe I will just MAKE BELIEVE.
10. The Dean and I / 10cc I’m not sure that “Who knew that Milton’s Paradise could be found?” is such a clever line but I like it anyways kudos.
11. Driver’s Seat / Sniff ‘N’ The Tears Man this is late night crusing music.
12. World Without End / Jobriath Total jam right here.
13. Poker / Electric Light Orchestra Pretty sure “The Card Cheat” was the Clash’s answer to ELO’s “Poker”. You can probably put money on that.
Click here or use the embedded player:
14. Graceland / The New Pornographers Naught Carl; sneaking into Graceland. Pay the ticket price like the rest of us schlubbs, just cuz you’re a New Pornographer and all …
15. Aggravation Place / The Jook Man this is such a cockin’ rocker never heard of the Jook though. From the Glitterbest comp.
16. Long Flowing Robe / Todd Rundgren I haven’t put “Long Flowing Robe” on a mix yet? UUNNNNHHHHHH.
17. Beautiful Flyaway / Alice Cooper I was kinda shocked to hear this Alice Cooper song back in the day, it’s kind of like weird singer-songwriter/arty-rock but I always knew Alice was a thinking man.
18. Japanese Slippers / The Fiery Furnaces I’m gonna just keep posting Fiery Furnaces, k guys?
19. Hot Pot / The Tornados They wrote this about a particular tempestuous hot pot you can feel it in the grooves.
20. Cling Clang / The Groovie Goolies Yup this is the music from the animated show Groovie Goolies. They even do that for animated shows these days? You damn kids! Get off my lawn! You damn kids!
21. Magnet / Yo La Tengo Fantastic cover of the NRBQ original.
22. Blue Moon / Big Star R.I.P. dude. Ugh shoulda blogged about it right? Hrm, well he was one of the greats - not only the songs he wrote but his unpredictable voice and shambolic guitar playing were two of the most unique, much-copied abilities in rock. Alex’ll show up on some future mixes for sure, always.
23. Late Century Dream / Superchunk LISTEN 2 THOSE DRUMS DAT’S MY BOY WURSTER.
24. Carol Mountain / Modesty Blaise Who are these guys??? I need more. This is from the Rough Trade Shops: Indiepop Comp. Plz send me an e-mail Modesty Blaise if ur reading this …
25. Mirage / Tommy James & The Shondells You can hear the band trying to re-create the success of the massive “I Think We’re Alone Now” right down to the skeletal footstepping bass but don’t fault it for not being quite as good as one of the best pop jams ever.
26. Mountain of Love / Johnny Rivers “You ain’t nothin’ but a Mountain of Love (in the sky)”